Should we rehabilitate the former dictator Idi Amin Dada, who died 20 years ago in Saudi Arabia, and repatriate his remains to Uganda? This question is animating debates in Kampala.
A fanciful and cruel character, Idi Amin Dada has inspired documentaries, films and numerous novels.
The “butcher of Africa” is said to have on his hands the blood of three hundred thousand people, killed during his reign over Uganda from 1971 to 1979.
Even if Amin Dada leaves a bitter memory of his eight years spent in power, between terror, massacre of the population and torture, activists still tried to organize a conference in memory of the dictator, immediately banned by the government of Yoweri Museveni.
Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni, whose rebel group was among those who ousted Amin with the help of Tanzanian troops, regularly dismisses the memory of his predecessor and has even called him a “primitive dictator.” There is no monument to Amin in Kampala, the capital, and no street bears his name.
Floods in Somalia: at least 31 dead and 500,000 displaced
At least 31 people have died and some 500,000 have been forced from their homes in Somalia due to flooding caused by incessant rains.
Somalia has been experiencing heavy rains since the beginning of October, due to the El Niño weather phenomenon, which have flooded homes and agricultural land. The greatest destruction took place in the Gedo region in the south, and in the Hiran region in the center where the seasonal Shabelle River submerged roads and swept away homes in the town of Beledweyne.
Somalia faces once-in-a-century floods. The situation is exacerbated by the combined impact of El Niño and the Indian Ocean Dipole, a divergence in sea surface temperatures between the western and eastern areas of the ocean.
Supporting Israel, Germany rejects calls for a ceasefire in Gaza
BERLIN – Germany rejected calls for a ceasefire in Gaza and reiterated its support for the Israeli military operation which has claimed the lives of more than 11,000 Palestinians, many of whom are children.
German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock expressed doubts about the ceasefire. He argued that it was unclear how a negotiated ceasefire could help free the hostages and guarantee Israel’s safety.
“I truly understand this terrible situation, where innocent children, women, mothers, families are not only suffering greatly, but they are also dying. “However, encouragement alone is not enough to help society truly guarantee security and peace,” he told journalists in Brussels.
Instead of a ceasefire, Baerbock and other European governments tend to favor a temporary, geographically limited humanitarian pause in Gaza, so that aid can be distributed to civilians.
Since the conflict between Israel and the Palestinian resistance group Hamas erupted last month, the German government has repeatedly said that Israel has the right to defend itself, and Berlin will continue to support Israel.
Germany says it bears historical responsibility for Israel’s security because of its Nazi past and crimes committed against Jews during World War II.
However, critics accuse the German government of applying double standards to the fact that Germany fought for human rights and supported Ukraine against Russia, but now they are turning a blind eye to Israel’s military war crimes in Gaza.
Abu Ubaida: The occupation evaded a prisoner exchange deal, and the bombing caused the death of a captive female soldier
The official spokesman for the Al-Qassam Brigades, Abu Ubaida, confirmed that the Israeli occupation evaded a prisoner exchange deal brokered by the State of Qatar, revealing that the continuous bombing of Gaza caused the death of a captive Israeli female soldier.
The military spokesman for the Martyr Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, “Abu Ubaida,” announced on Monday evening that the brigades had completely or partially destroyed 20 Israeli military vehicles during the last forty-eight hours while confronting the occupation army’s incursion into the Gaza Strip.
Abu Ubaida said in a video recording broadcast by the Al-Qassam Brigades: “38 days after the start of Operation Al-Aqsa Flood, the Palestinian resistance continues to confront the Israeli occupation mechanisms and its forces penetrating into Gaza City and Beit Hanoun from several directions.”
He added: “Our mujahideen continue their attacks on the enemy by blowing up its tanks, armored vehicles, and crowds with mortar shells.”
Abu Ubaida revealed that, “During the last forty-eight hours, Phalange fighters were able to completely or partially destroy 20 Israeli military vehicles.”
He continued: “The Zionist war leaders’ dreams of eliminating our resistance are an attempt to escape defeat.”
Al-Qassam spokesman: There was an effort by the Qatari mediators to release 100 women and children from enemy detainees in Gaza in exchange for the release of 200 children and 75 Palestinian women. The mediators told us that in a 5-day truce we could release about 70 women and children in Gaza, but The enemy is still stalling and evading
Al-Qassam spokesman said: “The occupation forces will remain under the blows of our mujahideen at every step they take.”
He referred to the prisoner exchange file, stressing that “there was an effort by Qatari mediators to release 50 women and children who were enemy prisoners, in exchange for the release of 200 children and 75 Palestinian women,” in parallel with the 5-day truce.
He stressed that the truce must include a ceasefire and allow relief aid to enter everywhere in the Gaza Strip.
Abu Ubaida accused the Israeli occupation of obstructing the file of its prisoners and working to get rid of them, revealing that a captive Israeli female soldier was killed during an Israeli bombing.
He reiterated that the Israeli bombing puts the lives of all Israeli prisoners in danger every hour.
Abu Ubaida concluded his video speech by greeting the Palestinian people and calling for their support and rising up against the Israeli occupation, adding that “our absolute confidence in Nasrallah and the justice of our cause does not exempt every individual or group in our nation from the responsibility of the Palestinian cause.”
The Al-Qassam Brigades published a video message for prisoner conscript Faul Azai Mark Asiani, who was killed as a result of the Israeli occupation aircraft’s bombing of the Gaza Strip on November 9, 2023.